Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Waiting


I was amazed to come across this poem tonight. The Lord's timing is so perfect. Praise Him!These are beautiful, convicting words; I pray that you are blessed by them as I was. There is no sweeter, greater, more precious thing than being taught by our Teacher, the Lord Jesus! There may be pain for a while... but who can fathom the depth and magnitude of the Grace and Love of the Lord! May His Name be praised. I love the words of this poem - and will finally leave you alone to read it :)...

WAIT


(Author Unknown)


Desperately, helplessly, longingly, I cried:
Quietly, patiently, lovingly God replied.

I pled and I wept for a clue to my fate,
And the Master so gently said, "Child, you must wait".

"Wait? You say, wait! " my indignant reply.
"Lord, I need answers, I need to know why!
Is your hand shortened? Or have you not heard?
By Faith, I have asked, and am claiming your Word.
My future and all to which I can relate
hangs in the balance, and YOU tell me to WAIT?
I'm needing a 'yes', a go-ahead sign,
or even a 'no' to which I can resign.
And Lord, You promised that if we believe
we need but to ask, and we shall receive.
And Lord, I've been asking, and this is my cry:
I'm weary of asking! I need a reply!

Then quietly, softly, I learned of my fate
As my Master replied once again, "You must wait."

So, I slumped in my chair, defeated and taut
and grumbled to God, "So, I'm waiting.... for what?"

He seemed, then, to kneel, and His eyes wept with mine,
And he tenderly said, "I could give you a sign.
I could shake the heavens, and darken the sun.
I could raise the dead, and cause mountains to run.
All you seek, I could give, and pleased you would be.
You would have what you want--But, you wouldn't know Me.

You'd not know the depth of My love for each saint;
You'd not know the power that I give to the faint;
You'd not learn to see through the clouds of despair;
You'd not learn to trust just by knowing I'm there;
You'd not know the joy of resting in Me
When darkness and silence were all you could see.

You'd never experience that fullness of love
As the peace of My Spirit descends like a dove;
You'd know that I give and I save.... (for a start),
But you'd not know the depth of the beat of My heart.

The glow of My comfort late into the night,
The faith that I give when you walk without sight,
The depth that's beyond getting just what you asked
Of an infinite God, who makes what you have LAST.

You'd never know, should your pain quickly flee,
What it means that "My grace is sufficient for Thee."
Yes, your dreams for your loved one overnight would come true,
But, Oh, the Loss! If I lost what I'm doing in you!

So, be silent, My Child, and in time you will see
That the greatest of gifts is to get to know Me.
And though oft' may My answers seem terribly late,
My most precious answer of all is still, "WAIT."

9 comments:

Carra - a bondservant of Jesus said...

Dearest Maddy,

Oh that poem is so lovely... it brought tears to my eyes.

It's so true. I know the Lord truly speaks to us, and means this to us, so often. He truly loves us, more than anyone could ever know.

It really encourages me, so much, Maddy. We don't have to know an answer right away... He knows them all.
I love the Lord Jesus, and I thank you for sharing. You have blessed me, dear sister.

May our Jesus bless you this night.
With love, your sister in our Jesus,
Carra

Sarah said...

Dear Maddy,

This is such a lovely and touching poem. It's so full of the inner feelings of desperation, of crying out to God. It just speaks out what I often try to say in those moments of 'Why, Lord, this way? Why the wait for this thing or that thing to happen in my life?' I also love the response. That the wait is for our best. That He knows what is more important...that is to know Him. Oh I pray that I would experience this in my life everyday.
Waiting is not fate...It is His loving Providence. The Plan of an All-wise, All-knowing Heavenly Father.
What a blessed joy this is!


Thanks, Maddy, for sharing this. I pray the Lord will guide you and give you His grace that is sufficient for every testing and uncertainty you may be going through at present. He is faithful.

Much love,
Sarah

Joy said...

Dear Maddy,
That is surely a beautiful poem! Like Carra and Sarah said, the words are so touching and true. How often we want an answer "NOW!" but His answer of "Wait"... is indeed so precious, and as the hymn says, "He is there and is not silent" even in the dark night of the soul when there is a tempest about you. And His grace is sufficient!

Thank you for sharing this lovely poem, Maddy. I pray that the Lord will guide you and strengthen you through and in every trail that you pass through and may He be your Strength and Shield. In His infinite love,
your sister,
Joy

April said...

Dearest sister Maddy; That is such a beautiful poem! Thankyou for posting it. I am going to print this up too! Gracious I might as well print your whole blog! ;)
Thank you for striving to write for the Lord Jesus and posting as He puts on your heart to the encouragment to other believers!
Much love and I am praying for you!

Maddy said...

Dearest Carra,

Weren't these words so beautiful and encouraging! That reminder that He truly loves us so much. The world tries to redefine 'love' as getting all things we want, and having things our own way. But "whom the Lord loveth He chastens". The Love of the Lord is incomparably precious!

Much love, dear sister,

from Maddy

Maddy said...

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for this precious sharing. Yes, this is why the poem also touched me so much. These words truly are what we cry out and hold in our hearts... we get so desperate for an answer, losing sight of the preciousness of His answer... that of waiting on Him, and knowing Him more deeply.
I was encouraged by the reminder that waiting is His loving Providence. I pray that this is my daily experience with Him, also. "Be still and know that I am God". How can we be still and know Him, if there is no waiting, but only rushing from step to step, from decision to decision, forever filled with our own sense of sure-footedness? Truly, waiting is His blessed provision!
It was a blessing to hear from you, dear sister.
With love,
Maddy

Maddy said...

Dear Joy,

Yes, didn't we see in this poem that "He was there" even when, for the frustrated writer, there was no 'answer' as he/she expected it! What a blessed knowledge, that He is there even in the darkest night of the soul. And that He is answering. If we could only cease listening to the tempest, and listen to Him.
Dear Joy, may the Lord be your Strength and Shield also, and your light through those darkest nights of the soul.
Much love,
Maddy

Maddy said...

Dearest April,

I'm praying for you also, sister. Isn't this poem such a beautiful testimony of His Grace! Truly His thoughts are not our thoughts, and His ways are not our ways... I pray that He would help our unbelief, and that we might in faith press ever closer to Him.
Much love your sister,
Maddy

Mary said...

Dearest Maddy,
This a wonderful poem. Thank you for posting it. It gave me much comfort and encouragement. Waiting sometimes seems to be one of the hardest lessons in a christian's life (at least in mine. But it is so true that as we rest and wait fully on Him in through the small things of everyday, when we walk by faith even when it seams dark or hopeless, then when we gain the most precious gift of all - knowing Him and the power of His eternal love. This verse came to mind when I read the poem and I'd like to share it with you, "It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man to bear the yoke in his youth." Lam.3;26
Much love,
your sister Mary