Thursday, 11 August 2011

Pausing

In the daily busyness of life, I so easily forget to... pause. Recently, and today especially, the Lord is convicting me of how vital it is to take this pause each and every day. Even during a simple car trip with my Dad and Grandpa this morning, He opened my eyes to the beautiful things I miss and fail to see, when my thoughts are consumed with the next task or pleasure.

A church billboard, containing the words "A day that is hemmed with prayer, is less liable to unravel".

A fleeting but beautiful picture of an elderly lady standing on the veranda of her cottage, gazing at a garden of blooming flowers.

My precious family, sinners, but sinners saved by an amazing Grace, our precious Saviour Jesus Christ, Who is breaking, moulding, using and filling them, through His great mercy.


Four brothers and a little sister, who are in the hands of the Lord, and who bring such joy to every day.



The Lord's beautiful handiwork
















But best and most important of all, is to pause and consider our Lord Jesus.

"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." Ps 46:10

"... Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will shew to you to day." Ex 14:13.

To day!

In pausing, standing still, seeing... He has so much to show us. There are so many "beholds" in the Bible - "beholds" addressed to His people who seek Him earnestly, and wait upon Him. These are just a few:

"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29)

"Then saith He to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing." (John 20:27)

"Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already with harvest." (John 4:35)

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" (Matt 10:16)

Through the grace of God, may we pause and see His Salvation early!

"And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard His word" (Luke 10:39).











8 comments:

Carra - a bondservant of Jesus said...

Dearest Maddy,
That is a wonderful post. I do love the Lord Jesus so.

Thank you for reminding us to behold. It is truly wonderful. I have noticed that too. The Word of the Lord, for example, is filled with truth and wonderful lessons for us, if we just open our eyes to see.

He is so Good. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful post, and are those last flowers Azaleas?
Love Carra

Joy said...

Hello Maddy,

I'm trying to think of a way of saying in a different way than Carra exactly the same thing! (By the way, Hello, Carra! I am a friend of Maddy and live a few minutes away from her place in QLD:D)

Beholding the Lord in His beauty, beholding HIM! I love the Lord Jesus so very much too. What else can I do but love Him who suffered and bled on that cross of Calvary for me! I am afraid at times, just as we were sharing the other day, I so often feel my weakness and sinfulness before Him. Yet He knows all things, and He knows that we love Him! Thank you for the verses you shared, Maddy,... how often we forget to 'pause and behold'! I pray indeed that we will all behold the Lamb of God!

The photos were really beautiful too! I loved the close-up photos of the flowers and mushrooms. The pictures, did you take them yourself?
God bless!
Love,
Joy.

Maddy said...

Dearest Carra,

Thank you, as always, it was lovely to hear from you and share! That is so true - His word is full of vital truths and lessons for us, if we would only open our eyes to see. I'm so thankful that the Lord Jesus opens our eyes. He is our blessed Redeemer, our Living Word. We are so blessed to know Him. Praise Him!

Praying for you, as you seek Him today,

Love your friend,

Maddy

Maddy said...

Hi, dear sister Joy!

It was a great blessing to hear from you today, thanks for writing :). It is so special, being able to share about our Lord with such sisters as you and Carra. Yes, how precious is our Lord Jesus, Who suffered and bled for us at Calvary. We can do nothing but love and praise Him!

Yes, sometimes in the midst of realising that I am a sinner, and the depth of my sin, and how I continue in that sin... well, I also feel my weakness and sin before Him, my strong will and stony heart. Who can comprehend the depth of the Lord's mercy and grace? The magnitude of His love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, He died for us?

Yes, truly, we can do nothing but love Him. And even then, this love is shed abroad in our hearts through Him, and from Him! Every good thing is a gift from Him... praise the Lord.

Hope to see you again soon, Lord willing :).

Love in Him,

Maddy

Sarah said...

Yes, Maddy, how much we need that. Life often passes by in a hurry before us. We often miss Him. Elisabeth Elliot quotes a lovely poem by John Greenleaf Whittier in her book 'Let Me Be A Woman' (p. 43):

Drop thy still dews of quietness
Till all our strivings cease.
Take from souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace.

May the Lord give us this.
Love in Him,
Sarah

Maddy said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sarah. That is so true, how often we miss Him in the hurry. I love the beautiful words of the poem, especially the prayer in the first line, "Drop thy still dews of quietness".

Yes, may the Lord give us the beauty of His peace.

Love,
Maddy

April said...

This post reminds me of a song I love to sing;

O God, in restless living we lose our spirit's peace.
Calm our unwise confusion, bid thou our clamor cease.
Let anxious hearts grow quiet, like pools at evening still,
till thy reflected heaves all our spirits fill.

Teach us, beyond our striving, the rich rewards of rest.
Who does not live serenely is never deeply bless'd.
O tranquil, radiant Sunlight, bring thou our lives to flow'r,
less wearied with our effort, more aware of pow'r.

Receptive make our spirits, our need is to be still.
As dawn fades flick'ring candle, so dim our anxious will.
Reveal thy radiance through us, thine ample strength release.
Not ours, but thine the triumph in the pow'r of peace.

We grow not wise by struggling, we gain but things by strain.
We cease to water gardens, when comes thy plenteous rain.
O, beautify our spirits in restfulness from strife,
enrich our souls in secret with abundant life.

Thank you for the post, Maddy! Jesus be with you and bless you and your family!

Maddy said...

Dear April,

Thank you so much for sharing these precious words. It was truly a blessing to read them.

May our Lord Jesus be with you and bless your family, also.

Love in Him,

Maddy