Friday, 19 August 2011

In the Home

A family vision for the Lord, serving Him together from the home, is a challenging mission. I came across these quotes about the home today, and was greatly encouraged by them. I pray that you are, too!

Secrets of Happy Home Life

(J. R. Miller, "Secrets of Happy Home Life")

Home is among the holiest of words.

A true home is one of the most sacred of places.

It is a sanctuary into which men flee from the
world's perils and alarms. It is a resting place to
which at close of day the weary retire to gather
new strength for the battle and toils of tomorrow.
It is the place . . .
where love learns its lessons;
where life is schooled into discipline and strength;
where character is molded.

What are some of the secrets of happy home life?

The answer might be given in one word: Christ.

Christ at the marriage altar;
Christ on the bridal journey;
Christ when the new home is set up;
Christ when the baby is born;
Christ when a child dies;
Christ in the pinching times;
Christ in the days of plenty;
Christ in the nursery, in the kitchen, in the parlor;
Christ in the toil and in the rest;
Christ along all the years.

Christ is the secret of happy home life!

~

Home trials

(J. C. Ryle, "Without Clouds")

What careful reader of the Bible can fail to see
that Adam, and Noah, and Abraham, and Isaac,
and Jacob, and Joseph, and Moses, and Samuel
--were all men of many sorrows--and that those
sorrows chiefly arose out of their own homes!

The plain truth is, that home trials are one of
the many means by which God sanctifies and
purifies His believing people.

These trials are spiritual medicines, which
poor fallen human nature absolutely needs.

By them He keeps us humble.

By them He draws us to Himself.

By them He sends us to our Bibles.

By them He teaches us to pray.

By them He shows us our need of Christ.

By them He weans us from the world.

By them He prepares us for "a city which
has foundations," in which there will be
no disappointments, no tears, and no sin.

The believer looks forward to the final
gathering of a perfect family in which
there shall be . . .
no unsound members,
no defects,
no sin,
no sorrow,
no deaths,
no tears.

~

May we look to the Lord Jesus today, keeping our eyes fixed on Him and running the race with endurance. Seeking and submitting to the refining, renewing, and regenerative work of the Holy Spirit. And remembering that our one hope of overcoming in the home mission field... lies in Christ Jesus our Lord!

4 comments:

Joy said...

Dearest Maddy,
Thank you so very much for this post!
I so needed it today... how true it is that this is our mission, at home, to love, and serve, being a servant in the family to one another... Amazingly, this can be the hardest mission ever. Yet through the trails, He indeed humbles us, draws us to Himself, sends us to our Bibles, teaches us to pray, and shows us our need of Christ!

I needed a bit of encouragement and this certainly has reminded me of what God wants me to do at home!

Thank you so much.
Love in Him!
your sister in Christ,
Joy

Mary said...

hello Maddy,
these are truly inspiring and encouraging words. It is so true that the mission of living our everyday lives at home, is one of the most important calling for us. It is often the most challenging too, to live true to God's word in the 'kitchen and the bedroom'. Thank you for posting this. God bless you.
Because of the eternal love of our Lord,
Mary

Carra - a bondservant of Jesus said...

Dearest Maddy,
That is so beautiful. :) Thank you for such a lovely post. It is a blessing to have a home and a family. The Lord is truly good.

I pray you are blessed in every possible way! :)

Also to Joy, and Sarah, and to all others. :) It's wonderful, truly wonderful, to share with other sisters in our Jesus, about what He is to us, and how He is teaching us.
Thank you for such a sweet and thoughtful welcome. We are truly blessed. (I know I can speak for both of us.) The Lord Jesus is so Good to those that love Him.

Joy, I tried to comment on your blog, and for some reason, it won't let me. :( But I'll keep trying, Lord Willing, and maybe the Lord will let me soon. I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog.

May the Lord be with you all. I'm praying for you and your special family Maddy. I love you and thank you for being my dear friend, and for writing such a lovely blog.
Yours truly, Carra

Joy said...

Hay there... Carra!
Thank you for your lovely message. We are really blessed too. By the way, I might have mentioned it to April, I have three sisters, two older and one younger: Sarah, Mary and Grace :D.

I don't know what's wrong with the comments on my blog... I haven't had any problems up to now. But I'll have a look again to see if there might be a problem. Hopefully you can comment soon :). I am glad you liked my blog... I do often find it hard to know what to write, but the Lord Jesus helps me! I love your blog too.

Oh, and I'd love to communicate through e-mails if the comments don't work. I'll be sending you an e-mail with my e-mail address in a minute. :).
In Him,
Joy